Thursday, August 5, 2010

Mind

I've been taking a closer look at my mind lately in a number of ways. I guess that's kind of a funny thing to say - "look at my mind" and let me tell you, it's not an easy thing to do! It can feel like you're chasing your tail but it's so satisfying when you can catch it by the tail.

I've been listening to my "inner chatter:" the little voice in my head that has oodles of opinions, judgments, negative thoughts, and worry. I've been telling her to be quiet. I read in a book - hmm, I think it was The Untethered Soul by somebody - I never finished it, but he called this voice your "roommate." I love that. That author and Eckhart Tolle that I've been reading lately (The Power of Now) talk about how that voice, opinion, judgement isn't really YOU - it's your mind, your ego, not you. It goes on in depth about this phenomenon until your head feels like it might implode and then - pOp, I got it. Whoa. So powerful. I'm having fun now with it. The other night I was laying awake in bed with a marathon of worry, regret, shameful, disempowering thoughts running through my head and gosh darn it was stressful. I was never going to fall asleep with my crazy roommate making all that chattery noise - so I told her to stop, and she DID! My mind was quiet. My body relaxed. I took a deep breathe and smiled into a beautiful and satisfied slumber. I'm no master though - my roommate can really take the reigns from time to time. It's a fun practice though. It's an exciting muscle to strengthen.



Oh and I had my first real hypnotherapy session last night. It was so wonderful. I went into the session with the intention of working on my diet - curbing my cravings for sugar and junk food as I journey towards healthy vegan - not junk food processed cookie dough vegan. Anyways, that's not all I left with. I created that I am fearless. I'm living the life I choose. I saw unexpected connections - like how my current diet struggles reflect upon who I ate with and what I ate growing up. How my emotions tug at those things. Then I just relaxed and shut up my roommate so my subconscious could get the messages I wanted it to. I am powerful. I know exactly what to do. I know what is good for me. I am worthy. Mmmm, to be wrapped in that - amazing. The whole experience was dynamic, sensory, and peaceful. Trent, you are phenomenal - thank you for that gift. Oh yes, I created a lil action plan too out my session.

1. Create an alter to reflect, relax, and be still at.

2. Drink at least 2 quarts of water a day.

3. Put Divine Light into what ever I choose to eat.

So far so good. I've got a little alter started. I have a dramatic non-working fireplace in my apartment that I'd yet to know what to do with so it's hearth is now my little piece of peace. I'd love to decorate it a bit and put some photos of my favorite people beside it too, but that will come - for now, some candles and a mirror.

As for the water, I did it today! I drank about 2.5 quarts. I'd love to get up to a gallon - slow and steady wins the race.

And what the heck does putting Divine Light into my food mean? I'm not really sure. My friend, Jorge, had talked about his practice of this and it sounded really cool. I suppose too, that it can mean different things for different people so there's no real answer. For me right now - it's really being present when I eat, being grateful for what my food has to offer me and for all that it took to get to me. I put love into my food and then eat up my love. Yum.


***This blog post writing was interrupted for a spontanious dance party to Cold December by Matt Costa. Aww, reminded me of my christmas stretch with the Gap. Memories and good ol' fashioned letting loose.*** 

No comments:

Post a Comment